Major brands influence not only our own behavior, but they also influence the behavior of industry they operate in. In this regard, it’s exciting to see 5-Star luxury hotel brands like Movenpick, Hyatt, Hilton, InterContinental and Four Seasons taking sustainable action.
Below are five top performing 5-Star Luxury Hotels & Resorts that have taken sustainable action from some of the world’s leading hotel brands:
Movenpick Resort & Spa Jimbaran Bali is a Certified member through the Green Globe Standard for Travel & Tourism and achieved a score of 89.
Sustainable actions include:
- Ninety percent of lighting is energy efficient resulting in lower energy costs and reduced emissions.
- In 2018, plastic bottles were replaced with reusable glass bottles saving 147,000 plastic bottles.
- Plastic straws have been replaced in restaurants for biodegradable materials.
Park Hyatt Maldives Hadahaa is a Certified – GOLD member through the Green Globe Standard for Travel & Tourism and achieved a score of 85.
Sustainable actions include:
- A solar powered buggy;
- Recycling approximately 50% of the resorts waste;
- Sending plastics to be recycled into products like branded shoes;
- Replacing plastic bottles resulting in avoiding 120,000 bottles per year; and
- Replacing plastic straws with paper straws.
Hilton Mauritius Resort & Spa is a Certified member through Travelife’s accommodation sustainability programme and has achieved GOLD status.
In addition to achieving GOLD status through Travelife’s accommodation sustainability programme, Hilton as an organisation has announced an initial investment of USD $1 Million to drive sustainable travel and tourism in Africa.
Hilton was also the first major hotel company to set science-based carbon reduction targets approved by the Science-based Target Initiative.
InterContinental Carlton Cannes is a Certified – GOLD member through the Green Globe Standard for Travel & Tourism and achieved a score of 84.
Most notably, InterContinental Carlton Cannes has implemented an innovative waste solution that transforms food waste into fertilizer.
The luxury hotel also built a 5-Star Shelter for honeybees on its palace roof.
Four Seasons Doha is a Certified member through the Green Globe Standard for Travel & Tourism.
The hotel has achieved a score of 75 from Green Globe and is the first Four Seasons hotel to receive Green Globe Certification.
Four Seasons Doha have taken several actions to receive certification by implementing their Sustainable Management Plan. Actions include:
- Using Eco-friendly chemicals and dispensers throughout the hotel;
- Replacing PET bottles with glass refillable bottles;
- Implementing paperless check-in and check-out;
- Monitoring and implementing energy efficiency; and
- Reducing water consumption through water efficient hoses and motion sensors.